Wednesday, January 20, 2010

To flush or not to flush? A major job search question

Ever been on the phone and heard a toilet flushing on the other person's end? What if you were trying to set up an interview to hire that person?

While I was in the stall of a public washroom recently, a person entered the washroom who was carrying on a telephone conversation on her cell phone. Dressed in a black suit and appearing very professional, it quickly became evident from the conversation I was unable to avoid overhearing that she was talking to a prospective employer and setting up an interview date.

Initially, I was a bit bemused--after all, as a career counsellor, I don't tend to recommend that job seekers conduct any conversations with prospective employers in a washroom. Until recently, the reasons for this advice seemed kind of obvious to me...

"Hi employer, nice to hear from you....Oh, you hear a toilet flushing? I'm just in the washroom because y'know...I'm a multi-tasker!

or

"I'm in the washroom because it was a mascara emergency!"

or

"I'm in the washroom because there was nowhere else to talk..."

Really? Not outdoors? Or under a tree? Or down a quiet hallway or stairwell? Or in an empty elevator? Or asking someone if there is a quiet place you can step into? Or beside a busy highway? (Because, seriously, wouldn't you rather be caught out for talking by the side of a busy freeway with trucks roaring by at high speed, than for being in the place where people go #1 and 2?)

There was nowhere else? Um...bad decision.

My reaction turned from amusement to chagrin as I realized my predicament. There I was, effectively trapped in my stall, trying to decide...to flush or not to flush? As I debated, I wondered to myself: how did this stranger's career fate become my responsibility?

It seemed that she looked at me with annoyance after I flushed and came out of the stall to wash my hands yet the woman chose to stay in the washroom to carry on her conversation, so I was faced with another predicament. After washing my hands, the only visible option for drying them was to use a very loud, wall-mounted hand dryer positioned right next to where this person was making the interview arrangements!

I wash thoroughly with soap and water so my hands were really wet--this wasn't simply a case of damp fingertips that I could wipe on my pants--and I had to go directly out to meet (and shake hands with) someone after exiting the washroom.

So, I dilly-dallied. I sighed inwardly at my image in the mirror. I shook my wet hands repeatedly in the sink. I found 2 new wrinkles. I considered whether I should head to the salon for a new style. I counted tiles on the floor.

Still, the conversation continued. What subway stop should she get off at to get to the company? Would she get reimbursed for the travel expenses to the interview?

I finally resorted to retreating back to the stalls and using tissue-paper thin, industrial toilet paper to try to mop up the water from my dripping hands. Squeezing by the woman on the phone as I existed the washroom, I resisted the urge to push the start button on the hand dryer.

But I have to confess, I lay awake last night fantasizing about it.

4 comments:

  1. I would have both flushed the toilet AND used the hand dryer.

    No. That's not true. If I was in your shoes I would have done exactly what you did (and maybe not even flush) because I'm too bloody nice. But with the distance from just reading this post, it would be good for her to face the consequences of her choice of answering place. It's important to learn how to manage responding on your cell in appropriate ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another post that is both funny, and real. In such a simple situation there is so much going on. First, her questionable decision to talk in what might have seemed like a private place, but is really not - it is both public, and full of potential noises (and recognizable noises at that). Plus, how her decision to turn a public place into her job search office impacted other washroom users (one who just happened to be a career counsellor and blogger and who most graciously tried to not disturb her call). Raises lots of great things to think about. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! As a former recruiter I've exchanged business cards with someone in the ladies room but I don't think I was ever on the other side of a bathroom conversation (at least I hope not!) Its a shame that your bathroom mate isn't reading this post to become aware of the impact of her choices. Here's to hoping there's at least one reader out there that will think twice before answering their cell phone in the ladies room. Thanks for the laugh and a great reminder of etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Christine, you are so nice. I have been exposed to this behavior as both the person trying to avoid interrupting the bathroom office user and the person on the other end of the phone. I hate to admit it, but this became so common in one of my workplaces that I stopped being nice about it. Unfortunately, the behavior didn't stop until there were consequences.

    ReplyDelete