Monday, November 16, 2009

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

My book draws the analogy that the process of finding a great job is a lot like the process of finding a great romance. I wrote it that way because I wanted it to be an approachable career book and also because I noticed that my friends and I spent quite a bit of time analyzing and talking about two things: our romantic relationships and our careers. The quest to find happiness often exists in both areas of our lives.

But we are diverse, us women. Some of us don't believe that romance is the way to happiness and even if we do, we're certainly not going to sit around waiting for it to find us--in life or our career.

This weekend, I'm exhibiting at Kingston's First Women's Show, a show that highlights women in business for themselves. I'm really looking forward to meeting these women, all of whom are in various stages of creating a career for themselves by starting their own business.

Entrepreneurship is a road often travelled by women. From Cora's Breakfasts to Loonie Spoons to Sleep Country, women are turning ideas into action all across Canada...and the world.

Who needs to wait for career romance to blossom? Sometimes, happily, we don't. As the Eurythmics sing, "Sisters are doin' it for themselves."

No comments:

Post a Comment